Severe water damage is typically associated with wooden structures. As the wood is exposed to water, the construction will start to lose its integrity. It can cause ceilings and walls to collapse due to the rotting fibers. However, water damage can also wreak havoc on certain metals. Rust, or iron oxide, occurs when an alloy that is created with iron or steel derivatives starts to break down due to water and oxygen exposure. The rust causes the bonds in the metal to weaken.

Most Common Causes of Water Damage

Broken pipes or hoses within the home. This is one of the most common reasons as to why a homeowner may experience water damage on the property. A burst water main or pipe can spill gallons of water in mere moments. Even a small leak can accumulate into a puddle, and cause structural issues with its accumulated weight.

The air conditioner. Your air conditioner might seem to be working fine from one end, but in the other end, your unit may be perpetually leaking. It’s essential to adhere to regular service dates to ensure that your air conditioner is functioning correctly during its lifetime. Remember that air-conditioners not only cool the air, but they also remove moisture from it. A faulty air conditioner may have the condensation accumulate within the unit itself. The water will slowly drip into your home and potentially ruin your flooring, or cause issues with your drywall.

Concerns About Crawlspaces And Basements

There are individual sections in the home that are more prone to water damage, like attics, basements, and crawlspaces. This is mainly because they have proximity to hoses, and family members hardly traverse them. These dark, damp spaces are also ideal for mold to flourish, which can contribute to further structural damage via oxidation.

ac-leaks-in-ceiling-580x415

Importance of Mold Removal

Not only does mold compromise the structure of your home but they can also jeopardize the health of your family. Mold can cause mild symptoms like nasal stuffiness, irritation of the throat and eyes, and coughing. However, there are also instances of certain molds generating severe reactions, especially with people who have compromised immune systems.

While mold itself isn’t toxic, some forms produce mycotoxins, causing almost constant allergic flare-ups that can get in the way of enjoying the refuge that is your home. If you think that you have an aggressive form of mold in your home that isn’t responding properly to over-the-counter products, contact us to learn more about mold removal and remediation.

Contact Our Team 24/7