10 Frequently Asked Questions – Residential Mold Remediation Services
1. How much does professional mold removal cost?
The cost will depend on the type of mold that is present, the remediation required by IICRC and the area that is involved among other factors. One thing that is for sure is that it is less expensive to handle it right away than to delay remediation. Spores can travel and start to grow in other parts of the home fairly quickly. We’re committed to restoring your home to a healthy environment while only doing the work that is necessary. We offer professional Tallahassee mold remediation services at a fair price.
2. Will you work with my insurance company?
Yes, absolutely. We work with all insurance companies and will provide a full estimate of the cost of the mold removal to you and your insurance company as needed. Consult with your insurance company or agent regarding your coverage.
3. What is the goal of mold remediation?
No home is 100% mold free, especially in this moist Florida panhandle climate. But, we are focused on restoring your home to safe conditions for you and your family. This means that we achieve concentrations that are lower inside containment than outside or unaffected areas with similar mold types present.
4. Is mold remediation different from mold removal?
Remediation covers a spectrum of services that include removing the molded building materials, cleaning and treating the remaining surfaces and cleaning the air with powerful air scrubbers.
5. What are some building materials that may have to be removed?
Plywood, wood studs, carpets, carpet padding, wood floors and drywall are some of the building materials that might need to be removed. Our technicians are trained in the proper techniques to remove the contaminated materials. They are careful to only remove what is necessary.
6. What is the difference between a professional remediation company and the others?
Professional remediation companies are trained, experienced and equipped to properly handle any size job. Our technicians have the most current training available, are licensed by the state in mold remediation and have the background an experience to handle any situation. Other companies may be learning while they work on your home. Do you want a crew that might be learning on the job or one that is already trained and prepared?
7. Is there any kind of temporary quick fix for a mold problem?
Mold should be removed by a professional as quickly as possible. Just spraying with bleach might remove the discoloration and it will kill the mold on the surface of non porous surfaces like tile, counters and glass but it won’t remove the dead spores (which can still cause allergic reactions and illness) and it also doesn’t address what might be behind the drywall. The roots will remain in the material and will return.
8. What are some common household agents used to remove mold?
Bleach, ammonia, vinegar, borax, baking soda, tea tree oil and hydrogen peroxide are common solutions that can kill most strains in small spaces. Their effectiveness against different strains of mold will range and none of them will penetrate to kill the roots inside porous materials like drywall or wood.
Before applying one of these agents, call Tallahassee Mold Pros so that we can properly assess the situation and identify the mold for you.
9. What are some of the types of equipment that you’ll use?
We use several different types of equipment to complete the cleanup. We’ll test the air quality, remove moisture from the air and scrub the air of spores and toxins. We’ll create containment and negative pressure in the workspace which requires additional equipment. Our technicians will also wear special equipment and protective garments for their protection.
10. How long does it take to complete a mold remediation project?
It will depend on the size of the area that requires treatment and the building materials in the area. The types of mold present will also play an important factor in determining the timing of the work as well as the source of the water intrusion. We break the size of the project into 3 categories:
Local (less than 10 sq. ft): removal is generally complete in hours. This doesn’t include the pre and post testing and waiting on results but our technicians can be in and out in less than a day.
Source: Pre and post testing is still required and it may take a few days to get the results back but our technicians will typically work in your home 1-2 days with this size project.
Containment: This size project will vary widely depending on the extent of the contamination. Call us today so that technician can give you a specific estimate.
We classify the types of water intrusion as:
- Category 1: Clean Water Source like sinks, faucets and hot water heaters.
- Category 2: Contaminated Water Source like toilets.
- Category 3: Contains Pathogens like broken sewage lines.
Call the Best Remediation Company In Tallahassee
Possible Signs of a Mold Problem
1. Foul Smell. Many moist basements or attics have this distinctive smell. When you return to a home that’s been closed for a while can tell. And a moisture event + the right conditions = mold and mildew smell.
2. Mold and mildew growing. Visible black splotches on the walls, ceiling, floors or baseboards are the tell-tale signs of a water intrusion and microbial growth. Once the leak is present and the materials get wet, they are a perfect breeding ground for the spores that are always present.
3. Soft moist spots on the drywall. It may not be visible yet but could be behind the drywall, on the supporting beams, under flooring or in the ceiling of your home. Our professional mold inspection technicians and equipment can detect even the lowest levels or the most dangerous levels.
4. Unexplained Illness. Have you or anyone in your family been experiencing a persistent coughing, frequent headaches, nausea or illness only when at home or in certain spaces. These common allergy-type symptoms could indicate that mold is present. The elderly, kids, pregnant women and people with compromised immune systems are most vulnerable.
5. Recent water intrusion. It needs water to grow. Have you had a recent roof leak, plumbing leak, ice machine or washing machine supply line leak, toilet, or A/C leak? What about a backed up sewage system? If so, the recent leak, flood or sewer back-up could have caused problematic mold growth in your home.
If you notice any of these signs, call now for a mold inspection. Tallahassee Mold Pros offers comprehensive testing. If there’s a problem, we’ll find it and fix it.
What Could Have Caused This Mold?
Storm and Wind Damage, Roof Leaks
Strong winds and falling branches during storms can cause damage of your roof or eaves or knock shingles loose. Just minor damage can set up the perfect situation for moisture to seep into your home and accumulate. This accumulation of moisture under the right conditions can create a perfect environment for mold to grow.
High Humidity Areas
Do you live along the coast, near a lake or in a very humid area? Tallahassee and the Florida Panhandle are known for its beautiful weather and warm climate but the humidity can be a problem in a house with no circulation. Allowing the humidity to stagnate in your home or commercial building can trigger excessive growth. Just a few days at the right temperature and the right conditions can create a serious problem.
Leaking Pipes, Porcelain or Water Heaters
Slow leaks over an extended period of time can also start mold growth. It may spread first behind the walls and then eventually it will bleed through the drywall to appear inside the home. Depending on how long the leak has been present, the growth can be quite extensive before it becomes apparent to you. If you suspect this type of situation, don’t hesitate. Call us today for an inspection.
Poor ventilation in bathrooms or laundry rooms that are very moist and damp can cause a serious problem. Long, hot, steamy showers in poorly ventilated bathrooms can create the right conditions.
Sewer Overflow and Water Back-Up Damage
Water back-up, damaged sewer lines or a backed up sewer systems are often the culprits in initiating microbial growth. This water is contaminated with three potentially deadly biohazards, bacteria, parasites and viruses, and can trigger dangerous mold growth. In addition to these primary biohazards, sewage is also contaminated with endotoxins/exotoxins, fungi and mycotoxins. This situation should me handled properly and professionally in order to ensure your families safety and health. It is absolutely critical that the proper techniques, treatment and equipment be used in this type of remediation. Only contact the best mold removal company in Tallahassee for this job.
Broken A/C Unit
Many of our customers return home from a lengthy vacation or from their other home in the off season to find that the air conditioner has stopped working properly. The air became too moist and hot and now their home is covered in dangerous mold. Also just leaving the a/c unit off for several days or a long weekend can trigger the problem.
Flood damage is a common cause of overactive growth. Improper or inadequate drying of the flooded areas and lingering moisture sets the perfect stage. We also provide water damage restorations services, rapid drying equipment and dehumidification equipment for flood damaged spaces in order to try to prevent mold growth.
At the end of the day, it really doesn’t matter what caused the problem in your home. What matters is that the water damage gets repaired and that the problem is taken care of so that your house can be safe for you and your family again. Tallahassee Mold Pros is committed to making that happen as quickly for you so call us now. Let us help you.